07 May 2014

Bound by Cords of Love

Day 7 of the 31 Day Scripture Challenge has surpassed all of my expectations. Proverbs continually convicts, changes, and refreshes me. If you're new to this, click here to read more about this challenge.



Reading through Proverbs 7, the chapter was headlined (in ESV) as a "Warning Against the Adulteress." I sat there and wondered how this could relate to me. What was I going to gain from this? Then I came toward the end to verse 23.

Proverbs 7:23
"...as a bird rushes into a snare; he does not know that it will cost him his life."

I was drawn to that verse. I know it was for the purposes of referencing the man and the adulteress here but I began to visit other verses, other chapters like this that ultimately convicted me. A snare is defined as "a trap for catching birds or animals, typically one having a noose of wire or cord." The cord catches the bird unawares. It comes out of nowhere. Isn't that much like sin and temptation for us?

Proverbs 1:17-18
"For in vain is a net spread in the sight of any bird, but these men lie in wait for their own blood; they set an ambush for their own lives."

Proverbs 5:22
"The iniquities [sins] of the wicked ensnare him, and he is held fast in the cords of his sin."

When we give in to sin, we fall, we become trapped. Your trap may not be murder or adultery, maybe it's bad thoughts, lying, bitterness, jealousy, feet that are swift to run to evil (Day 6 in Proverbs 6:16-19), and so on. It could be things we do without even knowing it or things that are hidden in our hearts. That's one reason Proverbs has been drilling into our heads to seek after wisdom and discernment so we have the strength and knowledge to steer away from these sins. When we don't, we create a trap for ourselves that can "cost us our lives." I don't want to be caught unaware by things that could've been prevented, hurts that I didn't have to experience, stress I didn't need to go through had I sought for the knowledge of God.

But wait, the best part is that we have a greater alternative from our cords of sin! Hosea 11:4 discusses God's compassion towards Israel and their journey from Egypt. "I led them with cords of kindness, with the bands of love, and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws, and I bent down to them and fed them." Our alternative is God's cords of love!

Even if you know that right now you are bound by sin, don't give up! His cords of love never run out! Here is a quick prayer for temptation that my Youth Pastor gave us awhile back: Jesus, this thought/action didn't come from You. I put it in subjection to You. I put it under Your blood. I turn it over to You. Amen. Whenever you feel that sin begin to entrap you again or that temptation begins to rise up, turn it over to Him!

God's forgiveness is endless. Be bound by His cords of love.


This post is a link up with Kristin Schmucker for the 31 Day Scripture Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. This really made me think, love it!
    Many times we don't realize we are walking into a trap of sin and end up tangled up! So glad that God sees us, has mercy and leads us out of the darkness of sin.
    I have learned to pray asking God to show me anything that may be sin or leading me the wrong way, he sees the future and I want him to protect me from things I can't see!

    ReplyDelete