25 February 2014

Guest Post: Comfort in an Uncomfortable Place



“saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” 
Luke 22:42

I had always heard this verse and was taught by my dad about praying this but what does it really mean? I went and read the chapter, praying God would give me an understanding of what this verse truly means and how can it be applied to my life. 

If you haven’t read it here is my quick summary: Jesus just had the last supper with his disciples and is telling them what is to come. He knows the betrayal is happening, He knows the soldiers are coming and He knows He is about to do something His flesh will hate him for. He kneels down and prays “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” He prays this so earnestly that His sweat was like blood drops!

When I was young my dad taught me to pray “not thine will but yours”. He also taught me this was a very serious thing to pray and to really mean it, not just let it be ‘fill in’ words! I prayed this often growing up and God has always amazed me with how His ways truly are higher than our ways!! As my life has changed, I have walked the different paths and curves of my journey. I had found myself just living life, going through the motions and I was guilty of having the joy, the love, the truth hidden in my heart, hidden deep in my heart. I became convicted! 

I wondered is this God’s will? What am I doing? What am I called to do? 
What does God want and need me to do?

I dedicated this year to making time to read the Bible, to praying each morning on my drive to work, praying, worshiping and singing while I stay late at work cleaning, searching out God’s will for my life. As I did this something strange happened, something I didn't expect. I became uncomfortable!didn't find that light, that huge blinking sign that said “THIS WAY”. I didn't hear a booming voice saying what to do. Instead I became agitated, uncomfortable and….intrigued with what was happening. 

I could have given up, said I was better off not trying to seek out God’s will, I was comfortable living my day to day life, at least I knew what was happening (in my mind, my plan, my will). But I decided to press on, see what God was trying to teach me. You see, God doesn't give us battles, situations, strange paths just to make things interesting. We go through things to learn, to be molded, and to change. He is the potter and we are the clay, sometimes we have to go through fire to work out imperfections. Is it fun? NO! Can it be confusing and lonely? YES!

“Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.” Isaiah 64:8

Remember, God's ways are higher. He knew the plan for you before you were born. He knows you, your thoughts, sees your tears, your frustrations. God knows YOU!

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9

God’s will isn't always a calling to luxury and comfort, it isn't always what you imagined in your mind. But God’s will is the best life we can live! We will never be alone, we will never be blind on our journey, and we will never be lost or forsaken. 

As much as I write this to you, it is also written to me. I journey the uncomfortable road as God molds me and I have found peace in knowing He isn't finished with me, He has a plan and that plan is better than any daydream I can have!

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11







Hello Fellow Readers!
My name is Aleisha. I am a 20 something old, a wife to my best friend, a mom of the cutest little man, a lover of music, piano and singing whatever comes to mind, a youth pastor’s (my husband) side kick, a receptionist and a dedicated reader of Refining the Wild Grapes.

You can find Aleisha on Instagram or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment