28 September 2013

The More Brains, The Less Muscle


Hello fellow readers!!
My name is Aleisha. I am a 20 something old, a wife to my best friend, a mom of the cutest little man, a lover of music, piano and singing whatever comes to mind, a youth pastor’s (my husband) side kick, a receptionist and….  A person privileged to call Katie my friend!
If this is your first time reading Refining the Wild Grapes, mark it, memorize it, come back asap! Each post speaks straight to my heart and always has me tearing up at my work desk knowing that God is speaking through her to me and to so many others!!
Katie asked me write a post of something on my heart to share with her readers. I have gone back and forth on what to share and I decided to go out on a limb and share something that I have been reading and studying myself. I am still studying this verse and learning to apply it to my life!

"If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened, more strength is needed but skill will bring success."
Ecclesiastes 10:10 NIV

I have recently studied the book of Ecclesiastes (highly recommend reading and studying it!) and this verse stumped me. I read it over and over, I asked God to help me understand why I was so drawn to this verse, I asked my husband what he thought about it (shout out to my husband who answers all my theological questions!!). I finally sat down and started to write my thoughts, very basic thoughts on what I believe God is trying to telling me. 
A dull ax will not get you very far and it will wear you out doing the simplest of jobs. The obvious answer to a dull ax is sharpening it! But do you know how to sharpen an ax? I certainly don’t! I would have to find someone who has skill in this area and either learn from them or have them sharpen the ax for me. Once sharpened the ax would do the job more efficiently and much quicker. 
I know this seems so obvious, I told you I started with just sitting and writing what I knew and could see. But as I wrote this and read it, God opened my eyes to the lesson to be learned from this verse! 
How many times do we say we know more than God? Okay, maybe we don’t literally say these exact words but our actions speak louder than our words. We choose not to pray. We choose not to take the time to read God’s word. We choose to do things our way instead of seeking his way. 

Our actions are telling God, I know what I am doing and I don’t need you to help.

When we do these types of things we are walking through life with a dull ax. We can’t see the future and we don’t know what is best for us but God does! He is the author of our life and wants to lead us through life. I believe so many situations and circumstances in life could be avoided if we would learn the skill of listening to God and heeding to His word and His voice. We need to learn to sharpen our ax!
How do we make sure we are not going through the life with a dull ax? We take time to spend with God, praying and reading His word. It is through Him that we gain “skill” and wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely true! Been there So Many Times! Yes we do need God's Word and reading it may sometimes feel so "unnecessary" :(
    But thank God for his marvelous and great mercy; HE is so forgiving!

    ReplyDelete