26 September 2013

Staying Faithful in the Unknown

Genesis 6:5-8 KJV
"And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord."


Have you ever felt defeated when you've been trying and trying to get an answer over a situation?
I know I've had days (and what I thought were life-ending situations) where I wanted to give up. I couldn't see the reason behind why things were happening. I didn't understand why someone else was getting blessed while I felt like God was ignoring me (yeah I know, terrible right?) I questioned the all-knowing God, the only one who knows what is best for me. What do you do when your faith is shaken?

There are so many great examples of men and woman in the Bible who trusted God when they didn't know the end results, yet they had faith. Trying to find peace over my situation and feeling of distress I began to dive into the Word and came across the story of Noah. We all know the basics: humans were living in sin, God told Noah to build an Ark to save his family and 2 of every animal, flood came and wiped everything off the face of the earth, God promised never to destroy the earth like that again (hence, the rainbow). I knew Noah was a dedicated man when he was told to build the ark but there was something I felt I was missing. In 2 Peter 2:5 it says, "And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly." Noah was a preacher of righteousness but think on this:

Besides his family, in all the years that Noah preached, he never had a convert.

What would that feel like to do the work of God without seeing any results? As human as I am, I would've felt like a failure, defeated and wanting to throw in the towel. What kept Noah so faithful? Why didn't Noah question God? The Bible says in verse 22 "Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he." After all those years it would be hard to not question why. The verse below answers every stressful thought, question, fear and doubt.

 "Jesus replied, You don't understand now what I am doing, but someday you will."
John 13:7

Every time I think that God should be stepping into my problem, I read this verse. When I feel like God doesn't understand my reasons for things I think I need, I read this verse. In the moments I think I'll never get through this, I read this verse. Whenever I stumble and don't understand, I read this verse. When I feel like my life is over, I read this verse. It stops me in the middle of all those feelings and I realize.. HE IS GOD. 

In your moments of weariness, rest assured that He sees the bigger picture when we only see our troubles and hard work. "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today" Matthew 6:34 NLT. 
I need to be faithful IN TODAY and just let God do the rest.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! This is a wonderful post :) I love that verse – "Jesus replied, you don't understand now what I am doing, but someday you will". He has plans for us, great plans for us, but we don't always see the big picture. Luckily for us, the Lord always sees the bigger picture, and no matter what's going on it our lives, He is working for our good!

    ReplyDelete