08 August 2014

Knowing the Pruner





I was given the opportunity this week to really reflect on the inspiration behind my blog. Sometimes, it's good to just remember your roots, to get back to the place it all began, and that's exactly what I did.

This time I found myself at the beginning of John chapter 15 where it talks about Jesus as the true vine. Verse 2 is what caught my attention. "Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit."  I'm not perfect. I bear fruits that aren't Christ-like. Fruits that may not be exactly appealing to others. Fruits that are being hindered in their growth by my choices.

But Jesus is a refiner of the things my flesh gives into. 

If we allow Him, He replaces our smelly, dead fruits with ones that are ripe and fulfilling to His kingdom. What was once dead, becomes alive in Christ.

In order for me to be pruned, I have to know the Pruner. This means spending time in His word. Seeking a deeper relationship with Him. Taking the time to talk to Him. Longing to be more like Him. In Galatians 5, we are given the fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. Why are some days these so hard to live? Because our branches haven't been pruned of all the "things" we let into our lives. The process is never easy but, from experience, it's truly rewarding.

What are your branches yielding? Will you allow Him to take away those branches that keep you from your blessing?





3 comments:

  1. God's grace is what is standing out to me SO clearly in this post!
    Even though walking through seasons of pruning is really hard....it's because He loves us SO much that He desires to refine us, and I just love that!
    Thanks for letting your blog be a space to encourage others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I found your blog through pintetest...this is a great reminder. Love this. Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete